Friday, October 17, 2008

Where does it all go? Panama.

Last night was date night for Rob and I, so where did we head? The mall. Ridiculous but true. In our defence we did go there to see a movie but were thwarted by bad timing. Anyhooo, back to the mall and the reason for this post.

Shopping in Panama is hilarious. Did you ever wonder what happens to the clothing that doesn't sell back at home? It might have been the red shirt you saw at the Gap last season. It didn't sell at it's original price, then it was marked down and still didn't sell, it may have made it to an "outlet" store finally. But what happens to it then, when it's still sitting on the rack and the store has to make room for more stuff? It gets sold to a consolidator who packs it all up and ships it off to.....Panama! (Among other places I'm sure).

It's easy here to find LL Bean, Lands End, Gap, Eddie Bauer etc. But you won't find it in any of those stores, instead you'll find it in Albrook Mall. Or as we have come to call it The Land Where Bargains Come to Die. Please note in the picture above that, yes, you are seeing a merry-go-round at the mall. I'm sure you can imagine Max and Zella's joy at this latest cultural development. But back to my story, last night Rob walked out with three Land's End dress shirts (probably about $60 a piece at home) and a pair of Steve Madden shoes....are you ready for the grand total? Sit down. $14.

And then after all the shopping, we went and had curried chicken mango crepes with ice cold beer and homemade gelato for dessert. Grand total $24.

We're really starting to like Panama.:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll be matching those prices next week on my trip!

K

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

Isn't that funny? Rob was giddy and you know what a non-shopper he is!

M

Anonymous said...

I'm more jealous that you guys had a date night. :-)

Must get on that.

The pics on the site are absolutely FABULOUS. We're gearing up for Nia's 5th birthday next weekend. Her chosen theme... SMURFS. Yup... thank you Teletoon Retro. So, I'm on the hunt for all things Smurfy. Wish me luck!

Hugs to you all.

Glain (and D'Arcy and Nia too)

Wael in Panama said...

Huh, I wasn't aware of that. Maybe because I almost never buy clothing, and when I do I wait until I go back to the USA. You see, I'm a heavy guy, and I never seem to find my sizes in Panamanian stores. There's hardly such a thing as a fat Panamanian.

Anonymous said...

I am also jealous of the date night. I would kill for a night at a pub with catherine. Beer, pub food and adult conversation. You guys rock.

Steve