Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Our amazing Zella


When I dropped Zella off at her school this morning I went in to ask her teacher couple of questions. This isn't quite so easy as it is at home in Canada. I have to study for this sort of everyday interaction. But I had prepped my Spanish and felt reasonably ready to accompany her into her classroom.
What I wasn't ready for was what a rock star my kid is. As we walked down the long hallway towards the Kindergarten B classroom ("it's the one with the brown bear on the door, Mum...") Zella was accosted by girls of all ages. Hugs were given, her name was called, friends came out to walk her down to her room.
When we actually got there, with many friends in tow, I found out a few things. A) Zella is speaking and understanding Spanish fluently in the class. B) Her teachers love her. C) She's giving impromptu English Lessons to the high school girls in the hallways and cafeteria. And D) She hates to colour in the lines.
This is all amazing news. Even the colouring...because as Zel so eloquently puts it, "What's the deal with the LINES anyway?"

No comments: