Thursday, March 5, 2009

Gamboa Rainforest Discovery Center






In checking out the sites with my parents we headed off this morning to Gamboa Rainforest Discovery Center. The Center is located in the small town of Gamboa just north of Panama City and is absolutely filled with wildlife. Which is, of course, not surprising when you see what it takes to get to it. After a 20 minute drive down a jungle shrouded road you arrive to a visitors kiosk made entirely of recycled materials. Without over stating it, as you stand chatting with the very knowledgeable guides you must constantly duck or risk being hit in the head by dive bombing hummingbird.
After a short hike there's an observation tower that rises above the jungle canopy. It's a killer stairmaster and not for the faint of heart but really worth it. The shots above are from our trip today.
Shot 1: Hummingbirds feeding (expand picture to see the bumble bee too)
Shot 2: Leaf Cutter Ants
Shot 3: Mama Sloth and Baby (Dad spotted these two quietly munching in tree just above our heads)

4 comments:

Somewhatjim said...

Sounds amazing. I love the shot of the hummingbirds.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I'm gonna check this every day to see s'happenin' in the "Ma" (that's kind of like the "Shwa" and if I have to explain that you've been away from Ontario for too long!) I can see my sister here - how cool is that?
Love you all!!
Carm

Anonymous said...

Hi Mara,

I thought I was at the National Geographic site. You've taken some great photos. The comments are fun to read too.
Nice to see your mom and dad enjoying the warmth.

Keep up the blogging. Marion and I both enjoy checking it out.

Ambie

Anonymous said...

Hi Ambie,
Thanks! I love writing this thing, it's like an online journal. I'm so glad you guys are enjoying it, it's a great way to keep in touch with everyone.
M