Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Blessed in my gut


Monday was Mother's Day here in Panama. Zella picked out this beautiful ring for me as a token of her affection, Max handed over earrings and Rob cooked a great bbq salmon dinner. It was a lovely day and it's a nice turn of events to get to celebrate Mother's Day twice in one year.:)
The best part of Mother's Day was the poem that Zella's class were asked to learn and recite to their Moms back at home. IT sounded so beautiful rolling off of Zella's tongue, my mom genes were singing with pride as I heard her amazing Spanish accent and her mastery of the complicate and foreign words. I, of course, understood very little of it. But that didn't matter. It was the effort I appreciated.
Later, Rob passed on the translation of the poem. He, in trying to help Zella learn the poem, had translated it word for word. Here is the poem in it's literal translation...
those that made other lives
blessed in their guts
and they gave their souls
with a love that does not fool
I guess there really is something to said for cultural and linguistic context!

No comments: