Sunday, October 26, 2008

Red Diablos and Telenovas





You really can't go anywhere in Panama without seeing a Diablo Rojo (or in English a Red Devil). What on earth is that? Of course it's a public transportation bus. Duh. Rigged up school buses are used for the purpose of transporting Panamanians all over the city and country. Individual owners have them lovingly painted- favourite cartoon characters, scenic mountain shots and the requisite girlfriend/wife/popstar painted onto the back (most prominent) panel. Ciara, in the case of the bus above, has been immortalized in airbrush. I am, of course, disappointed that the UN doesn't have this sort of option built in...maybe someday Rob will drive a Diablo Rojo and I can get my sultry mug painted on the back.
As we drove to the beach today, through the downtown, we not only dodged many Diablos Rojos but also happened upon a film set for one of the telenovas that runs down here. A telenova is the equivalent of a soap opera- lots of drama, lots of cleavage. It was fun to watch the filming for a bit and we got to see the traditional Panamanian dress in full swing. Some the actresses are above. Max and Zella really wanted to get in on the action, we had to hold them back. But if you ever catch a late-night telenova on the Spanish language channel at home, keep an eye out in the background for the two blond kids sneaking into the shot.:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been to Panama and remember those very well. I loved them too, and was amazed at how skilled the people were at decorating vehicles! Do they have whirling lights and wailing sirens too?

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda,

At night the buses are lit up like DisneyLand. They also blare loud salsa music and some of them are outfitted with a bar at the back- party buses as it were.

No matter day or night, though, they all drive like maniacs.:)

Gutsy Living said...

I've heard that the best way to learn Spanish is to watch the soaps in Spanish. Do you agree?

Anonymous said...

I've heard that too! We have a whole channel devoted to telenovas, maybe I should try it out....:)

Anonymous said...

hey Mara, I remember those buses I think getting on one to go to the mall was one of the wildest things I've ever done, I wasn't too sure if I was gonna actually make it ha!! Oh as for soaps I have bad news the translation is longer, telenovelas!!!

love,

Ale